- What is U-Box?
U-Box is a portable moving and storage solution. U-Box containers are perfect if you need extra time with your move or need temporary storage where you are living now or where you are moving to.
U-Box offers multiple delivery options to suit your needs.
We Deliver Have your containers delivered directly to your door. Full Service Delivery & Load Professional movers in your area will deliver your container and load it for you. Self delivery Pick up a U-Box container at your convenience with a U-Box trailer. Access at a U-Haul Location Save time and money by loading/unloading at a neighborhood U-Haul location.
Once you have the U-Box containers at your residence, load them at your convenience and then either bring the loaded U-Box container back to U-Haul on our specially designed trailer, or call us and we pick them up with our flatbed truck. We can store them at our secure location or ship them anywhere you choose.
- ¿Qué se incluye en mi cotización?
Your free, online quote includes the entire cost of your move. Costs include:
- Monthly storage (monthly fee to store your U-Box containers in our secure facility).
- Delivery to and from your home (trailer rental or truck delivery fee where applicable).
- Shipping your container
You won't have to worry about unexpected costs like fuel, hotel stays, extra driving time, etc. Using U-Box containers provides the convenience of knowing you can leave your items with us until you're ready.
- ¿Cuándo pago por mis contenedores U-Box?
U-Haul makes payments simple. When you make the reservation, we will collect your credit card information to hold your reservation. Nothing is due at the time of reservation, unless you have selected Moving Help® labor services. You will be charged the first month’s rent and delivery charge on the morning of the delivery. Every month thereafter, on the same day, we will charge your credit card with the monthly rent.
If you are moving one-way, we charge shipping 5 days prior to your guaranteed arrival date. Any delivery charges will be charged to your card the morning of the delivery at your destination.
- ¿Cuánto cuesta?
The cost of a U-Box move varies depending on your needs.
U-Box reservations can be made for storing or moving in-town, or to move one-way across the country. There are several delivery options to fit your budget, including free and do-it-yourself delivery options by towing a specially made U-Box trailer. Unlike our competitors, you can get a get a one-way quote online and choose the delivery option that is right for you.
Other cost factors to consider when you move with U-Box containers:
- No driving or hauling your goods
- No extra fuel costs
- Save time and add convenience with home delivery
- ¿De qué tamaño son los contenedores U-Box®?
The internal dimensions are approximately 4’8” (56") wide x 7’11” (95") long x 6’11 ½" (83.5”) high. T & U models are 91.5" in length and 77" in height. Capacity is 257 cubic feet, holding up to 2,000 lbs. On the outside, each U-Box container is 5’ (60”) wide x 8’ (96”) long x 7.5’ (90”) high. Each container has a large door for easy access and will typically accommodate an average room to a room and a half of household goods and furniture. U-Box containers rest about 6 inches off the ground to ensure that your belongings are safe and dry. A King size mattress will fit standing up. A California King mattress will fit diagonally (corner to corner inside the box is 100.5"). All measurements are approximate. View complete dimensions, including metric, here.
- ¿Cómo puedo saber cuántos contenedores U-Box necesitaré?
- Permítanos ayudarle usando nuestra herramienta estimador. Usted siempre puede obtener una cotización de nuestro sistema de reservación en línea. Si termina reservando más contenedores de los que necesita, con gusto podemos recoger los contenedores U-Box no usados y acreditarle de regreso el coste total. Nunca se le cobrará por los contenedores U-Box que no utiliza.
- ¿Cuánto tiempo tengo para cargar y descargar los contenedores U-Box?
You load your belongings into U-Box containers on your own timeline, not ours. You can keep the U-Box container on site for as long as you need. While the U-Box containers are on your property, they will have a weather resistant cover to keep moisture out and ensure the safety of your belongings.
- ¿U-Haul va a cargar el contenedor por mí?
U-Haul partners with Moving Help® to provide Delivery and Load or Unload services. Just look for the delivery options in your area to book Moving Help® when you reserve your U-Box containers.
- Can I store my U-Box containers long term and is there a fee to access my U-Box containers while in storage?
You can store your U-Box containers for as long as you need. You can access your containers for free anytime during normal business hours. Just give us a call 24 hours in advance so we can have your containers ready.
- What are U-Box moving and storage containers made out of?
- U-Box storage and moving containers are made exclusively for U-Haul. Each U-Box container is made of premium, pest resistant plywood, which provides your belongings with a stable and chemical free environment to store and transport your belongings in. This is especially important for those of you with wood furniture. Our U-Box containers breathe much better than steel containers reducing the chance for mold and mildew. Each container is also covered with a highly durable, weather-resistant cover when delivered.
- ¿Cómo empaco mis contenedores U-Box?
We recommend watching our quick, informative video on how to properly work with and load your U-Box container before starting. Then, be sure to follow the helpful tips below.
- Plan your move carefully and distribute your heaviest pieces between multiple U-Box containers. I.E. appliances, hardwood furniture, or a safe.
- Each U-Box container comes with 24 free U-Haul furniture pads. Use these pads to wrap and protect your furniture. Use any extra pads to fill in any empty space or gaps between items.
- Place the heaviest items on the bottom-center of the U-Box container and distribute weight as evenly as possible. Avoid putting the heaviest items to one side.
- As you load your container, each item should be lighter than the item below it. Can the item on the bottom withstand the weight of the items above it?
- Fill empty spaces with sofa cushions, bagged pillows or U-Haul furniture pads.
- Secure all rows of furniture and boxes with tie downs and rope.
- Load no more than 2,000 lbs into each U-Box container or you may be asked to move items into another container at your cost.
- Stand sofas and mattresses on end and disassemble bed frames and other furniture to maximize space.
Packing Tips & Guidelines
It’s just as important to properly pack the boxes that are going into your containers to avoid damage during transit.
- U-Haul packing boxes are built for stacking to help maximize your storage space.
- Pack your belongings in each box tightly to avoid shifting of contents during transit. Use U-Haul bubble wrap and packing paper in between each item.
- Pack books in U-Haul book boxes for easier lifting.
- Label each box to indicate it is fragile.
- Pack mirrors and pictures in U-Haul mirror boxes and bubble wrap. Wrap these boxes in U-Haul furniture pads.
- Reinforce the bottom of boxes with U-Haul packing tape.
- Coat fine wood furnishings with wax to prevent against scratches. Wrap these items in U-Haul furniture pads.
- ¿Cómo puedo prevenir que mis pertenencias se muevan durante el tránsito?
The easiest way to avoid load shift is to properly pack and load your U-Box container. Your heaviest items should be loaded towards the bottom-center of the container and distributed evenly. Each U-Box container can hold up to 2,000 lbs. If you have a lot of heavy furniture, you’ll want to distribute those pieces between multiple containers. Each item should be lighter than the item below it. As you pack the container, you’ll want to use furniture pads, sofa cushions, or pillows to fill empty space. If there are no air gaps between items, there will be no room for your contents to shift; this policy applies to your packing boxes too. Need help loading your container? You can add professional, customer-rated Moving Help® providers to load your container for you when reserving your U-Box containers online.
- ¿Están los contenedores U-Box seguros mientras que permanecen en mi propiedad?
Yes. Each U-Box container has a latch that can fit a padlock. If you don’t have your own lock, you can buy one here. Plus, U-Haul employees do not keep the keys or combination to your lock, only you do!
- Are my contents insured while in a U-Box container?
- The belongings in your U-Box container(s) are not insured for loss or damage while in transit or while they are being stored in the U-Box warehouse. You can add SafeStor coverage to protect your belongings, as well as cover accidental damage to the U-Box container, U-Box cover, and U-Box trailer. You can add a variety of coverage options when you make your reservation.
- How do I get my U-Box container to my home?
There are a variety of delivery options to fit your individual move and budget.
- We Deliver – Have your containers delivered to your door. A certified driver can bring your container on a flatbed truck and place it where you want using a forklift. Or, Moving Help ® service providers can deliver the container to you on a U-Box trailer.
- Full Service Delivery & Load – Professional, customer-rated providers will bring the container, pack it with your belongings, and return it to your neighborhood U-Haul facility for storage or shipping.
- Self Delivery – Tow your U-Box container to your place and load at your convenience, using a specially designed trailer. Don’t have a vehicle capable of towing? That’s no problem. Rent one of our pickup trucks to tow the trailer.
- Access at U-Haul location – Bring your belongings to one of our locations and load your containers there, free of charge.
Not all delivery options are available in all areas. Start a quote to see available options and pricing for your move.
- ¿Qué artículos no se pueden poner en mi contenedor U-Box?
La mayoría de los artículos comunes del hogar se pueden poner en su contenedor U-Box.
- Los artículos motorizados (motocicletas, ATVs, cortacéspedes con silla, etc.) no se pueden poner en un contenedor U-Box a menos que se han drenado todos los aceites, combustible, y líquidos del motor
No se recomienda poner los siguientes artículos en su contenedor U-Box:
- Joyería (incluyendo relojes y piedras preciosas)
- Registros financieros, escrituras y documentos
- Divisas y valores
- Obras de arte
- Cueros y pieles o ropa adornada con piel
Los siguientes artículos se prohíben poner en su contenedor U-Box:
- Organismos vivos
- Líquidos inflamables/Combustibles (gasolina, alcohol, diluyente de pintura, etc.)
- Materiales peligrosos (corrosivos, blanqueador, amoníaco, etc.)
- Gases comprimidos (tanques de gas propano, tanques de oxígeno/acetileno, tanques de buceo, etc.)
- Productos perecederos (plantas, frutas y verduras, alimentos, etc.)
- Explosivos (munición, fuegos artificiales, armas de fuego, etc.)
- ¿Cómo cancelo mi reservación U-Box?
Si desea cancelar su reservación U-Box, llame al 1-877-GO-UHAUL (1-877-468-4285) y un representante le ayudará con el proceso.
- International U-Box moves: What destination countries require international certified packers?
- Mexico, Fiji, Argentina, and Venezuela all require you have your container packed by international certified packers. We can put you in touch with someone who can do this for you. Just fill out the form and we will provide you with a quote to ship your container and contact person for packing.
- International U-Box moves: When will I receive contact information for a port agent in my destination country?
- We will not have a referred agent name until your container is on the barge. As soon as your items are in transit we will be able to get you in contact with someone in your destination country.
- International U-Box moves: What will it cost to get my container from the international port to my final destination?
- We can refer you to an international agent/broker in the country you are moving to who will get you a quote to get your items to your final destination.
- International U-Box moves: How do I pack my U-Box container and create an Inventory List?
Once you have accepted your international quote, you will be sent an information packet via email that outlines all requirements and instructions on how to pack your U-Box container, along with a template for your packing list.
- International U-Box moves: Am I required to be in the destination country when my U-Box container arrives?
- Yes, you must be present in the destination country when your container(s) arrive. This is required in order to avoid storage or detention charges at the destination port warehouse. When your U-Box container is delivered to the destination port, you can arrange for delivery to your exact destination address.
- International U-Box moves: Who arranges the customs clearance process in the destination country?
- You will need to arrange the customs clearance process and are responsible for all requirements. This rate does not include destination customs clearance fees, port/warehouse charges (THC/LCL Charges), quarantine charges, duties, customs exam fees and taxes associated with this shipment. All shipments are subject to the possibility of a customs exam.